Iowa Parent-Taught Driver Education Online
What is Parent-Taught Driver Education?
The Iowa Parent-Taught Driver Education (PTDE) course allows a parent or legal guardian of a teen to become an instructor for their teen's driver education. PTDE requires both online classroom instruction and behind-the-wheel driver training.
Safe2Drive's PTDE course is approved by the Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT). It allows a parent or legal guardian to become an instructor for their teen's driver education. PTDE requires both online classroom instruction and behind-the-wheel driver training.
Benefits for Parents
- Teach a driver’s education course for your teen that is not only Iowa DOT-approved, it’s also fun, interactive, and engaging
- Gives you the opportunity to take charge of your teen's driver education
- Provides a low-cost and convenient way for your teen to take driver education
- Gives you a chance to practice behind-the-wheel driving exercises with your teen
Eligibility Requirements for Parents
- Must be the parent/guardian/legal custodian of the teen
- Must have a valid driver's license
- You may not be a driver education instructor if you only hold a moped license or a temporary restricted license
- Must have a clean driving record for the previous 2 years
- Must have custody of the teen
Steps for Parents
All that’s required for the two of you to get started is to register for the course on our website!
It is highly recommended, though not required, that a parent completes and submits the Parent Taught Driver Education Pre-Qualification application before the teen starts the course, which may be found on the DOT’s website. By completing this pre-qualification, the family will know ahead of time if specific requirements have not been met and they will receive direct email confirmation containing further directions and the documents needed to submit the final application for completion. The procedures are as follows:
- Complete and submit the Parent Taught Driver Education Pre-Qualification application (this is not required, but highly recommended).
- Pay for the course.
- Complete the course.
- Your teen will need to complete a total of 30 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction with you, including 3 hours of driving between sunset and sunrise.
- After course completion, fill out the Application for Parent-Taught Driver Education Program Completion, which can be found on the Iowa DOT website.
Mail or email the application, in addition to the student’s completed Driving Log for Parent-Taught Driver Education (which can also be found on the Iowa DOT website) and the Exam Scores form provided at the end of your course, to the DOT at email@example.com or the following address:
Iowa Department of Transportation
Driver & Identification Services
P.O. Box 9204
Des Moines, IA 50306
- Wait to receive the letter of approval and the Certificate of Completion from the Iowa DOT.
- Have your teen move on to getting their intermediate license.
Forms You'll Need
Please Note: Iowa DOT Form 431225 is best accessed using Internet Explorer. It may not open on other browsers. You can also find it on the Iowa DOT website.
Don't worry. We will guide you through all of these steps as you progress through the course.