Florida Basic Driver Improvement (BDI)
Online Course Overview
Fast, Easy, and Reliable
Our online BDI course is easy, fast, and reliable! We guarantee your satisfaction.
One Low Price
We charge one low price that includes everything. There are no hidden fees.
About the Course
Our BDI course is:
- 100% online
- 4 hours in length
- Approved by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV)
Why Should I Take Basic Driver Improvement?
There are multiple reasons drivers choose to take a Florida BDI course. You can take this course for any of the following reasons:
- Keep points off your driving record after getting a traffic ticket for a noncriminal moving violation (if you take BDI voluntarily).
- Receive a 9% reduction in the cost of your civil penalty if you received a noncriminal moving violation that does not require a mandatory court appearance and elect to take a Basic Driver Improvement course.
- Satisfy a court order.
- Fulfill a course requirement to retain your license if the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles sent you a notice to take BDI for one of the following offenses:
- Passing a school bus that is stopped
- Running a red light
- Reckless driving
- Racing on the highway (you will be required to take a course whether you were an active participant or a spectator)
- Being the driver in a car accident in which you are at fault and someone was taken to the hospital, or being at fault for two accidents within 2 years, which caused over $500 of property damage
Am I Eligible for Basic Driver Improvement?
If you wish to take a BDI course voluntarily, you must meet the following criteria:
- You have not elected to take this course within the past 12 months.
- You do not hold a commercial driver license.
- You may only elect to take this course a total of 5 times during your lifetime.
How It Works
Get everything done in four easy steps!
Registration is fast and easy! Create a username and password and provide some basic information. Use your username and password to access the course as often as you want. We provide an unlimited number of logins.
2. Complete the Course
Our course consists of lecture material, animations, games, and a short quiz after each lesson. You must get at least 80% on each quiz to proceed to the next lesson; you are allowed unlimited retakes on quizzes. There are also 9 personal validation questions; you must answer all of these questions correctly to successfully complete the course.
You can complete the course at your own pace: a little at a time or all in one sitting. Each time you log in, we automatically take you to where you last left off.
3. Pass the Exam
You may take the exam online. It consists of 40 questions, and you must score at least 80% to pass. Most people pass the exam the first time. However, you can take the exam as often as necessary without any additional charge.
4. Get Your Certificate
Once you have passed the course, you will be awarded a Certificate of Completion. We will email it to you, and you can also print it online. If you took BDI to fulfill a court order or because you received a ticket for a noncriminal moving violation and elected to take a course, you will need to submit this certificate to your court.
If you took BDI because you received notice from the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) to do so, Safe2Drive will electronically report your course completion information to the DHSMV within 3 business days.
Please Note: It takes approximately 48 hours for your course completion to be annotated on your record once we report it.
Print your certificate online and keep a copy for your own records. Also, we suggest that you follow up with the DHSMV in 7-10 business days after completing
the course to ensure they have processed your completion.